Friday, September 19, 2014

Week 2 Of Class - So far, haven't died.

Well before class started, people would tell me that CSC165 was a difficult class. Now that I have had the chance to be in class, I can see why. Having never taken any class on such a topic, I was quickly lost in a sea of "if true, " "false," and "any," even though I had poured over the notes and lecture slides before hand. It was little comfort seeing my peers around me looking confused and whispering frantic questions at each other. In addition, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I only understood what question 2 of the tutorial exercise was asking five minutes before the quiz (but I think I ended up doing just fine, fingers crossed).

I think the hardest part of this course for me right now is how many symbols and operators are used and talked about. For example, the names of three sets are M, F, and E, which when I think about, makes perfect sense! But when someone is talking about it, all I hear are the letter and words. It's so hard for me when I can't see worked out on paper, while spoken words wash over me so easily, making lectures the most frustrating part of my day. I think the only thing I can do about it is to talk about the class material and discuss problems with other people to practice being bombarded with letters and numbers and "trues" and "falses." So I'll try that and hopefully it works out for me by next week.

EDIT: Just wanted to add --
Now every time I see the words "if" or "then" in every day life, my heart skips a beat.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, don't worry about it. A lot of the things that were taught were deeply integrated with Python code. Most of the people taking CSC165 are in CSC108, so the waves of confusion should subside rather quickly after October happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete